Orlando Roofing Materials
There are various sorts of materials that have been utilized for roofing over the course of human history, some noticeably better than others. In this day and age, there is little black and white when it comes to roofing materials, as each available choice is good in some situations and bad in others. For that reason, it can be hard to choose the right roofing material for your home. To help with that, this article will compare two common types of roofing material- asphalt shingles and metal- to determine which is best for which type of home or homeowner.
Asphalt shingles are the most common choice of roofing material for homes because they are useful in such a wide range of applications. They are also lightweight, easy to install, simple to maintain, highly customizable, and quite low cost. They come in so many styles and colors that it is very easy to find one that matches with your home. Some you can even have custom ordered to your specifications! Asphalt shingles are made up of a fiberglass mat that is totally covered with asphalt, then dusted with a colored mineral coating for added strength and durability. They are available in different grades, which let the consumer know how long they are expected to last. This could be anywhere between 15 and 30 years, as an average range. Here are some more benefits of asphalt shingles to consider:
- They require no additional structural modifications. Some heavier roofing materials, like metal, require bracing or additional roof supports to be installed before the rooftop just to be able to hold its weight. Not so with asphalt shingles, which are very lightweight and easy to work with.
- They are very customizable. The range of colors, shapes, and styles available for asphalt shingles is truly astounding. You will be able to find something that matches your home very easily and if you have something specific in mind, you can always have it specially ordered. There are even asphalt shingles designed to mimic the look of other, more expensive roofing materials.
- They are reasonably priced. Asphalt shingles are typically the most budget-friendly option when it comes to roofing materials. They allow you to get all of the function of other materials at a fraction of the price.
- They are easy to replace in the event of damage. If a storm, tree, or other event damages your rooftop, you’ll be glad to have installed asphalt shingles. Why? Because they can be replaced one by one without uprooting the entire roof. You need only replace the shingles that have actually been damaged, saving you time, money, and a big headache.
- They are anything but difficult to install. Asphalt shingles are so lightweight and easy to install that it can even be done by a skilled amateur. They are easy to fit to any shape and size of roof.
Metal rooftops have been picking up prominence as of late because of their stylish looks and solid performance in various climate conditions, among other reasons. One disadvantage, on the other hand, is that metal roof installation and repair is not something that can be effectively done by any old roofing company. It requires special expertise in working with metal roofing. In the event that you don’t have a metal roofing company in your neighborhood, it may not be a reasonable choice for you. If you do, though, here are some of the great things about metal roofing:
- Metal rooftops are solid and strong. In stress tests, there are few roofing materials that perform as well as metal. A standing seam metal roof top can last 50 years or more, which is more than double the lifespan of the typical shingled rooftop.
- Metal rooftops pay dividends. While you will definitely enjoy your home’s metal roof while you live there, you may find that you enjoy it even more when it comes time to sell your house. Buyers recognize the longevity of metal rooftops and will appreciate the beauty it adds to the home, and therefore be willing to pay more for it.
- Metal rooftops are worry-free. When you install a metal rooftop on your home, you will no longer need to worry about things like leaks, cracks, loose shingles, mold growth, and other things that plague people with shingled roofs. Metal roofing is very low maintenance.
- Metal rooftops are fireproof. This can add to your comfort in your home and overall peace of mind, certainly, but it may also serve to reduce your homeowner’s insurance payments!